Sunday 5 May 2013

Rhubarb delight


Bank holiday weekend and an extra day off. Yippee! Woke up to a nice morning yesterday and was quick to put a load in the washing machine. Then another one. While the second lot was spinning away it started to rain. Hm. Wet washing on the line and another load to come out. I hate having washing drying indoors! Just as well that I hadn't planned a trip to the allotment. And actually, rain is good for allotments so it wasn't all bad. I was putting away things in our new kitchen and thought it would take me a couple of hours. Little did I know that it would take me the whole day trying to figure out where to put the plates, cups, baking stuff etc etc. But it's done now and it looks great!

I had some lovely rhubarb from the allotment in the fridge and as today proved to be a gloriously sunny day, I decided to bake a rhubarb pie for my men and me. Little Miss M. had gone swimming with a friend and she doesn't really like rhubarb anyway.  We had a cup of tea and a slice of cake with vanilla ice cream. Lovely!


 



Even the Masters M. liked this!

It was truly delicious! Anyway, after some diy-ing at home I set off to the allotment. Mrs. G. has gone away this weekend and I do feel a bit guilty as I had no time at all to spare last weekend while she was slaving away planting onions. So this weekend it's my turn to work and Mrs. G's turn to relax. I decided that mixing in the remaining manure would be a good idea. I also watered what we've planted as, despite the fact that it was raining yesterday, it was quite dry. I also had a little look at the raspberry plants we've planted and look at this little beauty:




Two more canes have got these lovely leaves but the fourth one seems very "un-leafy". We'll have to give it a little bit of TLC I suppose.

The rhubarb seems to be growing by the minute so I just had to cut off some more and went straight home and baked a cake. I adapted an apple cake recipe that I've been handed down by my Mum and the result looks like this:



Doesn't look too bad if you ask me. And it turned out to be quite a winner when it comes to eating it as well. Lovely!! This is how to make it:

1 cup of sugar mixed with 1 large egg ( I had to add 2 eggs as our chickens lay small to medium sized ones).
Mix this and add 100g of melted butter. Add 2 cups of flour and a smallish amount of baking powder as well as 2 tablespoons of milk. Put the mix in a baking tin and cut up the rhubarb and place on top. Sprinkle a decent amount of sugar on top. Bake in 175 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes. 
As you can see, the recipe is a little bit ad hoc but it worked fine. For more rhubarb recipes look here.



Mr. M. is making pizzas as we speak but we seem to be two children short tonight. Isn't it lovely that they have friends! Tomorrow is another day and after wall papering the kitchen, I plan to do a bit of planting.

Mrs. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment