Sunday 22 June 2014

Potatoes and rhubarb

What a weekend! Scorching hot weather and completely still evenings. Gorgeous summer weather!

Mrs. G. and I met up on Friday afternoon to check whether the new potatoes were ready to go. And they were! There wasn't a whole lot underneath each one of them so we had to dig up half of the plants to gather enough for a traditional midsummer meal. Never mind. 



We celebrated midsummer at Mr. and Mrs. G.'s house on Saturday evening and enjoyed these delicious, home grown potatoes. What a feast!

I had found some more courgette plants and some Brussels sprouts at the local farm shop yesterday so I took a trip to the allotment today and planted the lot. It's very dry now so I had to water everything and then really soak the newly planted plants. I put the sprouts where the new potatoes had been and hope that they'll be ok there. They'll be at the end of the plot, just next to the shed and so a little bit protected. The plan is that we'll dig over the beds this autumn and not leave it until next spring. 


 The rhubarb isn't doing as well as last year but there is still enough to pick now and then. I have a few stalks in the fridge and fancied a bit of baking today. I decided to make rhubarb muffins. Well, muffins with rhubarb bits in that is. I found a plain muffin recipe in an old cookbook:

2 eggs
2 dl sugar
3 dl flour
2 tsp baking powder
50g butter
1 dl milk

I mixed it all, put it in muffin cases and added chopped up rhubarb. I then sprinkled sugar on top, put them in the oven at 225 degrees Celsius for about 15 minutes. 



Mr. M., older Master M. and moi then had some tea and muffins in the sun. Lovely!

Needless to say, there aren't any left after younger Master M. and Little Miss M. and friend came back from the beach and raided the tin...

Mrs. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment