Sunday 17 November 2013

Maggie O'Farrell



Image from http://www.maggieofarrell.com
I've just finished reading Maggie O'Farrell's After You'd Gone and I absolutely loved it! It was one of those books you want to go on forever. That's not the first time I've felt like this reading Maggie O'Farrell. I read The Hand That First Held Mine a couple of years ago and thought it was wonderful. I must have lent it to somebody because I can't find it anywhere and since I keep my/our books in alphabetical order (something Mr. M. finds weird) I should have easily found it, had it been there.

I really love reading and have resisted a Kindle for a long time. However, since we have no space for any more bookshelves and the bookshelves have no more space for any books, I gave in and was given a Kindle for my birthday. The first book I downloaded was Instructions for a Heatwave by no other than... Maggie O'Farrell. What a brilliant book! Then a colleague of mine lent me My Lover's Lover and I was really excited about reading it. Hm. I didn't really like it. How disappointing. I had by then already downloaded After You'd Gone and decided to read it straight after my disappointment hoping that My Lover's Lover had been a blip. And I was right. It was just as wonderful as the other two books I had really loved. 

There are two more books by this brilliant author that I haven't read yet. I will have a little break from her so that I can look forward to two more, I hope, fantastic reading experiences. 

Mrs. M.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion! I have not read anything by this author, but I will add her to the 'list' :-) I know the feeling about swapping to Kindle or IPad in my case, but there is that point about space... Oh, I don't find it weird keeping your books in alphabetical order. Is there any other way... :-)))

    ReplyDelete