Monday 28 October 2013

Stormy weather

Oh dear how windy it's been. I woke up at 5 this morning to gusts of wind and rain and found it difficult to get back to sleep. We had taken precautions and moved a lot of things from the garden into the garage so I wasn't too worried about anything blowing around. The cat was also indoors so no need to worry about him. 

Luckily the younger Master M's extra music class was cancelled so we didn't have to get up and go. I decided to paint the walls on the landing instead and prepared everything before I noticed that we didn't have any paint. What a shame... I didn't exactly dash off to buy any, so I spent a few hours doing school work instead. I've only got a little bit left to do now and will leave that to another day. 

Our house and garden are a bit sheltered but the allotment is very exposed, so when the rain had cleared I decided to go for a walk in the wind to see if anything had been damaged. The first thing I saw was this:


The window pane had blown down onto the ground but hadn't broken! As we don't keep a hammer and nails in the shed, I had to be a little bit inventive in order to put it back. Well, where there's a will there's a way as the saying goes. I attached the window with some bamboo sticks. Don't know how long it'll stay this way but hopefully a few days. 


The plot looked a bit tired with one of the courgette plants uprooted and several of the rhubarb stalks torn off. The kale looked great so I picked some leaves as I didn't want to risk them being eaten by slugs and therefore not having any homegrown kale on the Christmas table. 


I will blanche these curly leaves, chop them up and put them in a bag in the freezer ready for Christmas.

Even though it was really windy outside it was a refreshing walk to and from the allotment. Now it's time for Mr. M and moi to enjoy a cup of tea and a lovely creme patissiere filled bun.


I think I'll do a bit of knitting after that. I've started knitting a pair of leg warmers for Little Miss M. Her old ones are "a bit tired" and I fancy a bit of knitting after lots of crocheting lately. 


Have a good day.

Mrs. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment